Board Highlights: Flavored Tobacco Ban & More...
I want to share with you the following highlights from June 5th County of San Mateo – Government Board Meeting:
- Approval of an ordinance to ban the sale of flavored tobacco products and to ban any tobacco products being sold by pharmacies.
- Adopted a resolution in support of Senate Bill 221, urging the State to ban all gun shows at the Cow Palace.
- An amendment to the agreement with Chariot Transit to expand our employee bus service from the East Bay and North County.
- On a 3-2 vote, the Board upheld the appeal of the Community Development Director’s decision to approve the removal of an oak tree from a residential property in Menlo Oaks.
- Presentation of STARS Employee Innovation Summit Awards. County of San Mateo has the most innovative workforce – and their award-winning ideas included a housing portal to connect current employees with retirees who have rooms to rent; a one-stop shop to publicize discounted events for employees, free solar-powered bikes for employees to use instead of cars to travel to meetings and County business, and free County parks membership to employees. Our retiring HR Director Donna Vaillancourt was honored as the first “Innovation Champion” for her work as an exemplary and creative employee over the past 37 years.
- Presentation of a proclamation designating June 15, 2018 as World Elder Abuse Awareness Day. District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe made it clear that if we will bring the full force of the law down upon those who prey upon the elderly. Thank you to our team who works hard to protect our seniors.
- Presentation of the annual report by the Youth Commission – with these amazing students, I know our future looks very bright!
- At Board reports, I asked that we close our meeting in memory of Steve Penna, publisher of The Spectrum Magazine, and known as “Mr. Redwood City” an avid supporter and promoter of the city in which he was raised and lived in his whole life. RIP.
For the full Board agenda, streaming video of the meeting and more please visit the following link: http://bos.smcgov.org/board-supervisors-agenda-information